Friday, May 1, 2015

Laya/Tala exercises for Krithi level Carnatic students

Dear Students,

I am very pleased to announce that I have completed the first phase of my project of devising some Laya/Tala exercises for you.  These exercises are meant to help you strengthen your hold on the Laya/Tala aspects and enable you to render rhythmical complexities with ease.

All krithi level students, please download and print this book - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2usQL9U958McWRXcFZUUmpmMDA/view?usp=sharing

In this book, I have devised and notated exercises to facilitate practice of 'idam' or 'eduppu' for major talas - Adi, Rupaka Chapu, Mishra Chapu, and Khanda Chapu.  I will teach these exercises in class as well.

Thank you,
Lalit

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Lalit for your work. I am sure we all will benefit from this book. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lalit
    I am student of music. I have been searching for laya exercises and found your pdf recently. I would be grateful if you could kindly send me the audio of these exercises for better understanding. I am learning manasu swadheenamaina in Shankarabharanam in misra chapu. I have to put swarams at Raja rajesha.. Hence I am trying to understand the misra chapu laya exercise.
    Thanks In advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MusicMaathrika, I am glad you found the exercises useful. I have not recorded an audio for the exercise, I am sorry! If you are finding tough to execute the exercises in Misra Chapu, please try putting Trisra Triputa instead to understand the exact positions.

      Delete
  3. Dear Lalit,
    laya thala meter is so fine. thanking for your good service for classical music.
    yours dayananda kudupu

    ReplyDelete
  4. very useful exercise for laya/Tala given by you.Thank you. i will be thankful if you please give notation for misrachapu, Krupayapalaya in Charukesi sung by Smt.MS.Subbulakshmi.

    ReplyDelete

Trinity

Trinity